Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Love/Hate

I got two polishes that are very different socio-economically. The one on the left is J-2 Autumn Berry from Tilton Beauty Supply. The one on the right is Suncoat Water-based Nail Polish (number 14) from Whole Foods. J2 cost $1.99 and Suncoast cost $14.00.


Seriously, water-based? I know. But it's not tested on animals, as the bottle says.

Autumn Berry is chock-full of chemicals, but no toulene. Not sure if it's tested on animals. I hope not.













The suncoat applied like yogurt and when I tried to apply Seche Vite it turned into snot. I had to start over again and carefully apply coat after coat to build it up.

This has to be five or six coats and it's still very sheer.


















Hate:
The consistency
The sheerness
The way the polish clogs up in the neck of the bottle like a snotty nose and you have to wipe it
The price
The way you can't use a top coat when it's still even a little bit wet

Love:
The way it looks like galvanized steel (like this flower bucket.)


Look at the texture. The streakiness adds to the effect.
This is not a dupe in any way to the several other grays I have.
The unexpected micro-cosmic glitter in this which is colorful and can only be seen in sunlight (which has been eluding New Jersey for awhile now - and rain and overcast is the forecast for all week AGAIN)



















And the J2...I bought it because it was so cheap. If I got brave enough to look I would find about five thousand of these red-brown autumn berry types in my stash, but I'm really drawn to them and they are always beautiful.

I had to have that huge square bottle in my collection! Now I have to get another one because I can't just have one. I can hardly get my hand around it for the picture.
















You've seen this a million times, but it's a decent cheap version and I'm all for that. The fun and pick-me-up of playing with pretty nail polish that's also safe for us and for animals shouldn't have such a high price tag.


This is three coats.











Love:
The price
The shape of the bottle
The very decent quality of the polish

Hate:
There may be animal testing going on - I hate that. Unless they are putting it on the animal's nails, it seems unnecessary as I don't intend to put this in my eye or apply it generously to my skin.

Since the weather has been overcast I haven't wanted to take pictures of really special stuff, but I will keep swatching some of the more esoteric stuff that I buy and then forget about. Actually, I love when people swatch older polish or unknown polish. Cool to see it all in action.

No comments:

Post a Comment